Monday, October 10, 2011

APTE - A Place To Eat

Another School holidays edition of Breakfast of Champions took Emma and myself to APTE - A Place To Eat. Located on busy Heidelberg Road in Alphington, if you weren't concentrating you might drive past this little gem... My suggestion to you is turn off into that leafy side street next to APTE, find a park (in their very own car park) and enjoy a delicious breakfast!!

538 Heidelberg Road, Alphington


On this overcast but not too cold day we decided to sit outside, with the help of a very friendly waitress we found a spot over looking the rest of the under cover eating area.

Outside eating area - with HEATERS!!
We sat down, our coffee orders were taken, water was poured and we were left to peruse the menu and enjoy the surroundings. Can I say they were lovely surroundings, flowers, leafy trees.. I'm getting excited at the thought of going back there in warmer weather... until then, there are handy heaters!

Hot soy chai latte

I always appreciate coffee art!


Our coffees arrived promptly, admittedly mine was a little bit bitter, but honey soon fixed that (FYI: I went back to APTE a week later and there was no bitterness to be seen).

I'm told the Chai latte was lovely too!





The next big decision was what to order. Stand-outs were the ricotta-hot cakes and the banana bread which also came in a mixed platter for those who wanted a delicious combination of both. Another was the Smoked Salmon with corn, feta and pea fritters. However, I had a hankering for muesli. Not to fret all you egg lovers out there, I will be back to try those other delicious options.

Bircher muesli!
I was not disappointed, Bircher muesli served with honey yoghurt and house poached fruit. Hearty and healthy, I enjoyed every mouthful. I am a lover of bircher and if I was to say anything critical, I would probably ask for more nuts, other than that taste wise it was fantastic.

Semola porridge!
Emma, chose the warmer brekky option.. Semola porridge which was infused with honey, vanilla, raisins and currents. She also requested that it be made with soy milk. I was informed that soy milk makes this type of porridge. I had a cheeky taste (because I've never had Semola porridge before), I was pleasantly surprised, it was warming and really rather delicious, but I'm an oat porridge kind of a girl so I was happy to appreciate and then tuck into my bircher!

After breakfast we decided on a scenery change... Soooo inside we went, plus we wanted to perve on all of the baked treats :-)

Baked goods!
lots of big tables for groups




















BAKED GOODS!
We shared a chocolate cheese cake brownie and a carrot cake.



The Brownie was lovely and fluffy. The carrot cake was definitely one of the nicer ones I have had with walnuts and spices. also the icing was not too sweet, bringing out my inner Goldilocks 'it was Juuust right!'

Overall, the price came to about $45 dollars for the both of us, which included the breakfast, baked goods and three coffees (two large). The coffee price is pretty standard, as are the brekkys, the most expensive item is the apte big breakfast at $17.90 which is pricey, but I guess you would save money by not having lunch! :-)
I have already been back to APTE and I plan on going back there again, I have my eyes on those corn fritters. I would definitely recommend this place, efficient and accurate service is hidden under a comfortable and chilled out atmosphere.
It is child friendly (with a box of toys outside) so maybe if you are anti-children/nursing a killer hang-over give it a miss but otherwise.... APTE APTE APTE.


1 comment: